2.22.2008

One Word

I'm not sure I've ever blogged much about work, if at all, but most know that I work 3 days a week (now a 4th day from home) for NS. Most days I love my job. Pre-Anderson & Carter I was totally career focused gal, having my boys has changed my perspective quite a bit. I love the 2 days at home I get to spend with my boys - I get my 'stay at home mom' fix and I still have a foot in Corporate America. Anyone who knows me knows that I stay quite confused about my work-life balance and in which direction I want it to sway. Most days I think I have figured that this half-life thing I've got going on is perfect for my family. I don't think I could stay home 5 days a week, but LOVE LOVE LOVE that my work has enabled me to spend 2 days at home - I have the perfect balance though I'm usually reluctant to admit that....

At any rate, I attended a "Networking" session at lunch on Wednesday afternoon - literally, it was a session on how to become a better 'networker'. It was actually one of the best sessions I've ever been to - I actually left with a renewed energy. During the event, we were challenged to describe ourselves with 15 words.... Ok, not too hard. Then, we were challenged to encapsulate who we are in ONE WORD. Pretty hard to do. I pondered and pondered and pondered (all within 3 minutes or so) and started thinking about all the people in my life and what would be the one word they would agree on to describe me.....

1) my parents would definitely agree
2) my brother would agree
3) grandparents would agree
4) most teachers & professors would agree
5) my high-school soccer coach who called me his "coach on the field" would agree
6) my high-school cheerleading coach & squad voted me most this.....
7) my husband would likely agree
8) close friends would agree
9) peers at work would agree
10) my boss would definitely agree
11) and hopefully, most importantly, my Lord & Savior would agree

that I am, SPIRITED!!!!

Do you agree? Now, I challenge my blogging friends to find that one word that YOU feel best describes you, and please please please share in your blog!!!!! So to all the loyal bloggers, that means you Jen, Jamie, Sue, Katy, Beth, Natalie, Rebekah, and so on!!!!! I can't wait to hear about your ONE WORD!!!!

6 comments:

Jen said...

First of all, I do agree that you are SPIRITED!!! Whether it's about a playdate, a new aspect of work, a great glass of ginger peach tea or hot chai tea, a good haircut, a new shade of lipstick or just a really good friend chat session - you know how to find the joy in the everyday things. That to me is having Spirit! I'm constantly uplifted by your Spirit and how you manage to keep it amongst all you have to juggle. So I think everyone would agree that you did choose a word that encapsulates who you are - and that's what I love about you.

Now, as far as the homework - that's going to be the hard part! I'll get back to you on that one.

Natalie said...

Perfect, absolutely perfect and I have only known you a short while. I will have to think about my one word...I will figure it out though. What a challenge!

Katy said...

Wow - good challenge, Heather!! How to sum all of you up in one word? Sounds like a good project to chew on for a few days....(and PS - I didn't know you were doing a "work at home" day too!!!)

dandsratz said...

Heather--I TOTALLY agree--and "dito" that is exactly why I love you! You are so incredibly spirited, and positive, and enthusiatic, and it spreads to all of us when we are with you! You do a magnificent job at balancing your precious boys & husband, and work at N.S., too! It is so evident that you are phenomenal person & very well balanced when I can see how happy you & Mark & the boys are!! (P.S. Now if you could only let me take your place every now and then, get dressed up & go do some of your work at the office--I'd be forever beholding! :) There are days I would pay a MILLION dollars to go back!!) As far as the homework is concerned--there is NO WAY I would come up, and share it, one word to describe me!!! :)

Jamie said...

I would agree Heather, you are definitely spirited! You do such an amazing job balancing your sometimes crazy life. I don't know how you do it, yet you still seem so on top of things (even though I know you don't always feel that way)! I sometimes wonder if I would be able to do all that you do and still have it all together. You are an amazing mother and wife (and friend) and it is so evident in all that you do. Now about that one word...it may take some time to figure that out!!

The Petersons said...

Heather, I absolutely love this blog! The rationale behind your choice really seems to capture who you have been, who you are, and who you will continue to be. I must applaud you on doing incredible work in a such a short time. I don't think I could have come up with something that thought provoking if I had 24 hours much less three minutes. I love this idea so much that I am going to suggest it to my MOPS group as a discussion topic for our small groups. Thanks for such a great idea!