5.06.2009

When NOT to skimp:

So there are the standard issue stories of when not to skimp - for example, we've all been told not to skimp on toilet paper, but as many friends know, I've recently become quite the 'frugalista', but I've since learned there are a couple things I won't skimp on ever again - -
1) blue cheese - I absolutely LOVE blue cheese and often adorn salads or dishes with blue cheese- recently the 'block' of blue cheese was on sale versus the good ole already crumbled blue cheese - well, never again will I take on the task of crumbling my own blue cheese -what a mess! I'll gladly pay that premium!!

2) being a southerner, I love me some shrimp 'n' grits so I decided I would treat our family this week with this favorite dish. Well, the grocery store had shrimp on sale - but I would have to peel and devein my shrimp - I thought, sure to save $2, I'll do it! Wrong!!!!! I'm just glad I only had to peel & devein 1lb. of shrimp (about 50 little guys) versus more poundage - goodness! So next time I'll be waiting until the already peeled & deveined shrimp are on sale! But in the end, the shrimp n grits were still delicious and I learned a valuable lesson!!!

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Totally agree! I usually buy the shrimp that is already deveined and get it steamed for free from the seafood dept. They will peel them for you too if you want, but I found the flavor isn't as good after the steaming without the shell. I usually pay $4.99-$5.99per lb. and its totally worth it to me! The kids even love when we get to bring shrimp home. They love peeling and eating their own...its messy, but fun!

Katy said...

yuck - i hate bleu cheese, so that's one i don't have to worry about!!!

dandsratz said...

Heather...you are a HOOT!!! This cracked me up!! :) I thought you were going to describe how YOU skimped on your Toilet paper, and I was beginning to get scared!! he he!! :) But, seriously, SHRIMP and grits!! GROSS ME OUT!! I LOVE grits, but shirmp....ugh!! :)

anthonyandbeth said...

and don't ever skimp on hotdogs. i learned that the hard way too. there are just some things that you can't buy generic! :)

Mandy said...

Amen, Beth! Those cheap-o hotdogs are gross!

Andy and Jen said...

I had another friend of mine from Georgia introduce me to shrimp & grits. Sounded gross but tasted good!